Sunday, June 15, 2008

Raven Update!

So it has now been ten days since the marrow transfer. We haven’t been incident free unfortunately but by the same token the incidents have all been manageable.

Raven is doing ok. Today has been an off day for her. It’s odd she kept her dinner down all night and then for some reason the food wasn’t moving from her gut and she threw it up this morning (a good 8 hours later) and has had a bit of a heaving episode around lunch time today. She’s still keen to eat and drinking well and is fine apart from this little upset.

Yesterday she was great and I took her out for the first time since the transfer and we went for an hour and a half walk with the other two. They enjoyed themselves immensely and came home tired for once.

The only other minor panic we had was on the Wednesday of last week, 6 days after the treatment. She was not interested in food at all Tuesday night and felt like she had a bit of a temperature. I wouldn’t have worried too much about this but late that evening Spryte started making a huffing noise. No coughing though. But at 5am she woke everyone up with what sounded very much like the Canine Cough cough. This is where Simone started to get a little worried because Ken has specifically said ‘Don’t take Raven near any ill or coughing dogs’. Great! There were quite a few expletives running through my head then I must admit. I spoke to my colleague at work and then emailed Ken at about 6am, taking the day off from work in case I needed to take her in.

Ken got back to me around 8.30 and asked me to take her temp. I did so and it was 39.4 so she had a fever, not a bad one but one that prompted Ken to ask me to bring her in. So I did and by about 10am she was admitted and I’m not afraid to say I was quite concerned at this stage.

By 11am Ken had emailed me to say her fever had dropped and that she was eating. Yay!! By 2.30 he emailed me to say her temp was normal and that could I come and get her because she was eating too much! Needless to say I was very relieved. He cancelled my Thursday appointment and took bloods from her whilst she was there to do a full blood chem. Analysis and check her kidney function. As far as he was concerned everything was as he expected, low RBC virtually zero WBCs and Kidney function all normal. He couldn’t tell me when the marrow would start functioning…or rather he couldn’t give me an idea about when the WBC were going to start to show up again, he just stated that by this time next week he would expect a difference in the WBC count so that she showing a closer to normal count.

Turned out Spryte did not have CC, she coughed once more that night and then that was it. Nothing else. I kept her separate from Raven to be sure but it seemed to have passed. I think maybe she chewed or eaten something that didn’t quite agree with her throat.

So far so good…once we passed the 7 day point I did relax a bit more knowing the chances for complications occurring were becoming more unlikely each day that passes. So she has an appt 4pm Wednesday just to get some blood from her to do the same test. This will go on for a month and then once a month for a year. A small concession really in the face of everything else she had been through.

She is is just twitching to get out and do some training and I will take her back next week and see how she goes. According to Ken she should be back to normal by now and should be doing all the usual things she normally does. So can’t keep her away from agility for much too longer!

No comments: