Friday, April 14, 2006

The Pattern Continues...

Re this "Winning = Not having fun" idea that some non-competitive people have out there, I'd really like to can this notion. It is, to be quite frank, a load of crap and to be honest I'm not sure what it is about...as in what are the motivations behind the idea. Anyway people may watch my runs and if they watch them all they will see me at some point stop running a course, putting my dog in a down and replacing a bar. I'm quite sure my body language, facial expression and maybe tone of voice at that point will certainly indicate that right at that second I am "not having fun". *Shock horror gasp* I'm quite sure my dog picks up on this very well also. As soon as we leave the ring she gets into the car and I ignore her for a while. There is no rough handling, no physical aversives used but I don't need/want to use them - dogs are smart they know when you're pissed at them. Unfortunately alot of the time they don't know why you're pissed at them so that is why when a bar drops is the ONLY time my dog will get the "cold treatment" as I like to call it. It would be completely confusing for her if I gave the "cold treatment" for any other reason.
I digress - back to the "not having fun" part - agility is a sport and like any other sport there are going to be moments of disappointment, I'm convinced those moments of disappointment are there to make the moments of success that much sweeter. So therefore why should people try to ensure they are "having fun" even when it is human nature to feel disappointment (whether it be a stuff up that you made or something the dog did) - it won't matter to the dog if you try and stay upbeat and happy and carefree because damn straight the dog picks up you are disappointed (I've yet to see a handler who makes an error on course able to completely make it look like there was no mistake and that's just to human perception - dogs pick up on so many more subtle signals). So I say if you did make an error/mistake or whatever then acknowledge it and move on. When you move on make sure you have a plan for fixing your mistake though - don't just think "Gees I'm a crap handler" and have the attitude that you're never going to be able to handle brilliantly and well so may as well not work on those weak areas, because then you would be doing your dog an injustice and be undeserving of his partnership.
I think I've pretty much covered my opinions on this topic except to say that there's an Agility trial tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it, I absolutely love trialling and training. I think Agility is the best sport in the world and without a doubt the "having fun" part is all a matter of attitude.
Cheers
Simone

No comments: